As a support organization for artists, Ad Lib works on the development, production, and distribution of shows for youth and general audiences. Founded by Anna Giolo in 2012, Ad Lib currently supports about ten performing arts projects in both theater and dance.
Ad Lib has the following missions:
- to promote a selection of Belgian artists and to present their shows in Belgium and abroad
- to support the production and strategic development of theatrical, choreographic or multidisciplinary projects
- to provide administrative and structural support to emerging Collectives or Companies
In keeping with these missions, Ad Lib has set up two support and development tools:
- Artist Residencies at LIBITUM
Ad Lib coordinates the selection and organization of artist residencies at LIBITUM
- The LookIN’OUT Professional Days
Ad Lib is responsible for programming a diversity of shows for the LookIN’OUT Professional Days; they also provide coaching and support to the selected artists
Ad Lib is in charge of the broadcasting and pre-broadcasting of projects for youth and general audiences. They also organise show tours in Belgium and abroad, in collaboration with the artists and performance venues.
Broadcasting support is provided through:
- Promotion of shows on Belgian and international territories
- Strategic support for projects in the development of specific networks
- Development, centralization, and follow-up of contacts with programmers
- Support at festivals/show markets, and on-site reception of professionals
- Drafting and negotiation of contracts with organizers
- Logistical organization of tours
Ad Lib supports artists in the production and development of their new projects: preparing the ground for successful promotion and visibility on Belgian and international stages.
This production support fulfills the needs of artists in various ways:
- Production planning and budget set-up
- Development of strategic approaches
- Assistance in writing and reviewing files
- Broadcasting preparation and identification of networks
- Discussion and review of communication tools
- Assistance in finding residencies, partnerships, co-productions, grants, and pre-licensing
Administrative support is provided on a needs basis to the companies and collectives with which Ad Lib collaborates.
This may mean taking charge of:
- tour administration (salary management, expenses, and accounting related to the tour)
- project administration, during the creation period
- company administration
In order to preserve the autonomy of companies and artists, AD LIB privileges the provision of services for non-profit organisations of partner companies and collectives over the management of delegated administrations.
Artist residencies LIBITUM
The residencies LIBITUM welcome Belgian and international artists from all disciplines to support them in the development of a personal artistic project still in the beginning stages of creation.
The main objectives of the residencies are to accompany them in their overall strategic reflection on production and distribution and to create new synergies and professional encounters.
These residencies take place 4 weeks a year in Lubéron (Vaucluse/France). Each artist is hosted on-site for a period of one to two weeks.
Artistic disciplines previously hosted: theater, dance, music, visual arts, digital arts, cinema, documentary, multidisciplinary or multimedia installations.
LookIN’OUT Professional Days
During the LookIN’OUT – Professional Days, performing arts professionals are invited to discover between 15 and 20 projects in the making. These projects, led by artists from the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, are presented at different stages of development in the form of short presentations. These presentations are followed by a discussion time.
The LookIN’OUT – Professional Days take place in Brussels over a period of two days at the “BAMP” residence space and the “Le 140” theater. The event takes place annually, at the end of November.
Initiative and collaboration bringing together three partner structures:
- a theater, Le 140;
- a residence space, BAMP;
- a support structure for production and distribution, Ad Lib;
LookIN’OUT is jointly programmed by Astrid Van Impe (Le 140), Cristel Vanderstappen, (BAMP), and Anna Giolo (Ad Lib).