Ad Lib is an artist support organisation based in Brussels, whose core mission is to support the development, production, and distribution of live performances led by artists working at the intersection of disciplines and who are committed to the poeticization of reality and the exploration of new bodily, visual, or scenic languages accessible to a wide audience.
Ad Lib provides long-term support for 8 artists in the development of their projects: Caroline Cornelis, Caroline Taillet, Elsa Chène, Julie Benegmos, Jasmina Douieb, Jérôme Michez, Othmane Moumen, Yasmine Yahiatène.
Ad Lib also co-develops and co-organizes the LookIN’OUT Professional Days in partnership with Le BAMP and Le 140.
Ad Lib also offers training and coaching. Ad Lib organizes information sessions and open permanencies for artists as well as professional exchange sessions aimed at sharing knowledge and experience and developing new professional networks.
Through these actions, Ad Lib consistently focuses on achieving the following objectives:
- Ensuring artistic freedom and quality.
- Supporting cultural diversity and the development of unique artistic proposals.
- Supporting the emergence of new projects and practices.
- Supporting artistic research processes.
- Facilitating collaboration among artists from different disciplines.
- Promoting the encounter between works of art and audiences.
Ad Lib offers comprehensive and long-term support to follow artists’ journeys, to encourage dialogue between production and distribution, and to explore each project’s various possibilities. Projects can also extend beyond the stage and be built to engage audiences through other media, forms, and spaces.
Ad Lib’s work integrates the entire process of creation, production, and distribution into a global strategy that enhances the artist’s visibility, preparing and facilitating their presence on Belgian and international stages. This work is developed in close collaboration with the artists or project leaders.
Depending on the artist’s needs and the project, different types of support may be considered, including production support, distribution support, administrative support, and the development of mediation for creations.
Ad Lib supports artists in the production and development of their projects. This support involves guiding and assisting the artist in the artistic and financial development of their project, from conceptualization to creation.
Production support includes:
- Production planning and budget creation.
- Development of strategic approaches.
- Assistance in writing and reviewing proposals.
- Preparation for distribution and network definition.
- Reflection around communication elements.
- Assistance in finding residencies.
- Assistance in seeking partnerships, co-productions, funding, and pre-purchases.
Ad Lib manages the distribution and pre-distribution of live performances. Ad Lib facilitates networking for projects, conducts prospecting work, promotes performances, and organizes tours in Belgium and internationally, in collaboration with artists and programming venues.
Distribution support includes:
- Promotion of performances in Belgian and international territories.
- Strategic support for projects and prospecting work in specific networks.
- Development, consolidation, and follow-up of contacts with programmers.
- Support at festivals/showcase events and professional hosting.
- Contract drafting and negotiation with the organizers.
- Logistics for tours.
Depending on the needs of the companies and artists Ad Lib collaborates with, administrative support may be offered, including tour administration, project administration during the creation period, or company administration.
This support may involve:
- Tour administration (salary management, expenses, and tour-related accounting).
- Project administration during the creation period.
- Company administration.
To promote interaction with the artworks, improve access to performances, and explore the subjects further, both for young and general audiences, Ad Lib collaborates with each artist to develop possible mediation approaches for each project, as well as relevant and useful mediation forms and objects. Ad Lib then promotes and organizes these mediation actions during tours.
Guidance and Training
With ten years of experience, Ad Lib offers its expertise and knowledge to artists and project managers in the Wallonie-Bruxelles Federation by creating training modules in production, distribution, and the development of artistic projects. These modules contribute to various training programs and are also provided on occasion by certain professional associations in the performing arts sector for their members.
Office Hours and Advice
Once a month, Ad Lib opens its doors to all artists for individual advisory sessions. These sessions require an appointment and typically last between 20 to 70 minutes, depending on the artists’ needs. The dates for these sessions are announced on Ad Lib’s website and through newsletters.
Ongoing Support and Consulting Missions
Periodically, Ad Lib responds to specific support requests from artists and companies:
- Through repeated coaching over a specified period.
- In the form of ongoing support over several months, which may be necessary for the development of a structure or a project, or for organizing performances at performing arts markets (Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, MASA Festival, Avignon Festival, etc.).
☞ For further information or queries about guidance and training : firstname.lastname@example.org